Scenes at the vigil for Sarah Everard. Getty

A police watchdog said London police “acted appropriately” at a March 13 vigil for Sarah Everard.

Everard was killed after she went missing in early March, sparking anger over violence against women.

Footage from the vigil showed police shoving and arresting women, prompting widespread criticism.

Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.

A police watchdog said that London police “acted appropriately” as they shoved and arrested attendees at a vigil for Sarah Everard.

A report from Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire and Rescue Services, published Tuesday, said that Metropolitan Police officers had properly policed the event, despite widespread criticism over how they handled it.

The report said that:

“Police officers at the vigil did their best to peacefully disperse the crowd.”

“Police officers remained calm and professional when subjected to abuse.”

“Police officers did not act inappropriately or in a heavy-handed manner.”

Everard went missing while walking home from a friend’s house in south London on March 3. She was last seen on surveillance footage on a busy street at around 9:30 p.m.

A serving police officer was arrested on suspicion of her kidnap and murder in the days following, and on March 13, authorities said they had identified human remains found in a wooded area as Everard’s.

The vigil was held in London’s Clapham Common, near where Everard disappeared, the same day her remains were found. The Met Police had banned the event, citing coronavirus concerns, but it went on anyway.

The vigil started peacefully, but attendees said that it was over-policed and clashes began.

Photo and video footage showed officers shoving and arresting women at the event.

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he was “deeply concerned” by footage showing police officers detaining women at the vigil. Cressida Dick, the commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, also faced calls to resign.

Story continues

But the Tuesday report said: “The Metropolitan Police was justified in adopting the view that the risks of transmitting COVID-19 at the vigil were too great to ignore when planning for and policing the event.”

It did add, however, that there was “insufficient communication between police commanders about changing events on the ground.”

Sarah Everard, 33. Met Police

It added that “public confidence in the Metropolitan Police suffered as a result of the vigil, and that given the impact of images of women under arrest – which were widely disseminated on social media – a more conciliatory response after the event might have served the Met’s interests better.”

Everard’s death sparked other demonstrations in the city and renewed conversations about male violence against women in the UK.

Police officer Wayne Couzens was charged with Everard’s kidnapping and murder, and is due to stand trial later this year.

Read the original article on Insider

Source link

On this website we use first or third-party tools that store small files (cookie) on your device. Cookies are normally used to allow the site to run properly (technical cookies), to generate navigation usage reports (statistics cookies) and to suitable advertise our services/products (profiling cookies). We can directly use technical cookies, but you have the right to choose whether or not to enable statistical and profiling cookies. Enabling these cookies, you help us to offer you a better experience.